Below is a collection of readings that are helpful for both teachers, parents, and students, in order to begin understanding the complexities of Queer issues in education. Everything from Queer theory and pedagogy to young adult fiction and comics.
“Education is a constant process for the liberation of human beings.”.
- George, A. (2014, October 29). How teachers can support transgender students. Retrieved July 19, 2017, from https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/teacher-blog/2014/oct/29/transgender-supporting-students-school-lgbt
- Jennings, K. (1994). One teacher in 10: gay and lesbian educators tell their stories. Boston: Alyson Publications.
- Pascoe, C.J. (2005).‘Dude, you’re a fag’: Adolescent masculinity and the fag discourse. Sexualities, 8(3), 329- 346.
- Schey, R. & Uppstrom, A., “Activist Work as Entry-Year Teachers: What We’ve Learned”, nin M. Blackburn (Ed.) Acting Out! Combating Homophobia through Teacher Activism, 88-102. New York: Teachers College Press.
Books on Theory and Pedagogy:
- Driskill, Q. (2011). Queer indigenous studies: critical interventions in theory, politics, and literature. Tucson: University of Arizona Press.
- Ferguson, R. A. (2004). Aberrations in black: toward a queer of color critique.
- Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
- Mayo, Chris (2014). LGBTQ Youth and Education: Policies and Practices. Teachers College Press.
- Kumashiro, Kevin (2002). Troubling Education: Queer Activism and Anti-Oppressive Pedagogy. Taylor Francis.
- Pascoe, C.J. (2012). Dude You’re A Fag: Masculinity and Sexuality in High School. Berkeley and Los Angeles, CA: University of California Press.
- Wade, L. and Marx Ferree, M. (2015) Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions. Norton.
- Warner, M. (2003). The trouble with normal: sex, politics, and the ethics of queer life. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Narratives and Personal Accounts:
- Butler-Wall, A., Cosier, K., & Harper, R. L. (2016). Rethinking sexism, gender, and sexuality. Milwaukee, WI: A Rethinking Schools Publication.
- Mikulec, E. A., & Miller, P. C. (2017). Queering classrooms: personal narratives and educational practice to support LGBTQ youth in schools. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing, Inc.
- Quesada, U., Gomez, L., & Vidal-Ortiz, S. (2015). Queer brown voices: personal narratives of Latina/o LGBT activism. Austin: University of Texas Press.
- Albertalli, Becky. Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda. New York: Balzer + Bray, 2015. Print.
- Eugenides, Jeffrey. Middlesex. New York: Picador/Farrar, Straus, Giroux, 2003. Print.
- Federle, Tim. The Great American Whatever. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2016. Print.
- Sáenz, Benjamín Alire. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. London: Simon & Schuster Children’s, 2014. Print.
- Ukazu, N. (2017). Check Please! [ Web comic]. Retrieved July 31, 2017, from checkpleasecomic.com
- Woolf, Virginia. Orlando: A Biography. London: Published by Leonard & Virginia Woolf at the Hogarth Press, 1933. Print.